Improving the Health of Americans through the Prevention and Management of Diabetes, Heart Disease and StrokeOverviewMore than 34 million American have diabetes. Another 88 million US adults,1 in 3, have prediabetes, and 90% of them do not know they have it. A person with prediabetes is at high risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.Project BackgroundKansas Healthcare Collaborative is continuing to partner with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s Bureau of Health Promotion to implement clinical strategies for management and prevention of type 2 diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and stroke.EligibilityIn collaboration with KDHE, KHC is looking to provide assistance to additional providers/health systems interested improving chronic conditions. Priority will be given to those clinics who serve high priority or underserved populations.Clinic Responsibilities
- Commitment to implementing evidence-based strategies, reviewing/reporting data monthly and meeting monthly (virtually or in person) with a member of the KHC team to review progress towards goals.
- Provide baseline data covering at least one year prior to the start of the project.
- Participate in annual assessment(s) to monitor clinics progress on improving outcomes, planning and implementation of strategies.
- Provide data monthly as appropriate for project (Statin Therapy, Diabetes A1c Poor Control, Controlling High Blood Pressure).
- Demonstration of outcomes/interventions. Ex. story board (templates provided)
- Barring unforeseen circumstances, the clinic should not plan to change their EMR systems or ownership for at least a year. If they are, how they will document the plan to continue participation during this time is needed.
ResourcesCDC DiabetesCDC Diabetes and PrediabetesCDC Heart Disease Tools and TrainingMillion Hearts
Assigned a dedicated Quality Improvement Advisory QIA) to be available to provide consultation services to clinic and be available to meet (virtually or in person) at least monthly with provider/health system.
Assess participating clinical practices workflows, PDSA ‘s and related QI tools
Complete annual clinic assessments, collection of monthly data and review of follow-up reports.
Serve as a liaison between the clinic and KDHE in coordinating resources available to clinics.